Nal Sarovar which means ‘TAP LAKE’. This portrait the most famous tourist attraction site where several kinds of bird species which in turn are attracted to this lake and hence is called Bird Sanctuary. A bird Sanctuary is a place where birds live without a cage in a large place that contains plants, shrubs, and trees, giving it a shape of a natural environment or we can say it an aviary or flight cage. Birds here can fly freely.
Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary is situated 64 km to the west of Ahmedabad located near Sanand Village, Gujarat. Nal Sarovar wetland is considered as the biggest wetland bird sanctuary in the Gujarat state. The lake is situated in a low-lying area between Central Gujarat and East Saurashtra.
Architecture Of Nal Sarovar Bird Sanctuary
The geography of the Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary is illustrated as a low-lying area between Central Gujarat and East Saurashtra. There are officially mentioned 36 islands, while locals figured out more than 100 small islands.
The natural beauty and geography allow a serene place with different kinds of trees including ‘pilu’ which harbor a red berry type edible fruit. Vegetation is scattered with dense forests, marshlands, wetlands tall grasslands, and huge fields.
Nal Sarovar was declared a bird sanctuary in April 1969, attracting over 210 different species of birds. It was declared as the Ramsar site on 24 September 2012. Ramsar site is a wetland site that has been given an international important by Ramsar Convention.
About Nal Sarovar Bird Sanctuary
- The diversity of migratory birds is the most popular aspect of tourist attraction. More than 200 species like rosy pelicans, flamingos, white storks, crakes, brahminy ducks, herons, purple moorhen, species of bitterns, grebes and starks can be observed. The birds migrate from as far as Siberia, Oman, UAE, Yemen, etc. Waterfowl come from Siberia and occupies this lake. There are 210 species of birds in the winter. 140 are water birds. 70 are migratory birds from which 20-25 you can easily observe and others require deep exploration.
It’s a paradise for a bird watcher. Picnic spots are also there for those who want to enjoy the scenic beauty of nature, birdwatching, tall grasslands, and marshes.
Best Time To Visit
Migratory birds come in October and remain till April and can be seen over the lake at Nal Sarovar. The migratory bird’s population is at a peak from November to February. So, it is the best time to visit. Best time to see the birds is early morning and in the evening. The cleanliness of the lake is so high that you can even see the algae grown inside the lake. It’s the food for birds and fish living inside the lake.
How To Reach
You can travel by personal car or cab. Gujarat tourism also provides shelter for the tourists 1.5km from the lake. For better convenience, you can stay at Ahmedabad.
Bird Sanctuary Visit
Bird Sanctuary timings are 6 am to 6 pm but the ticket window is opened till 5:30 pm. The entry fee is Rs. 75/ person on weekdays and Rs. 85 on weekends and Rs. 200 for using mobile cameras. Boating charges are Rs. 220/ person and Rs.1320/- if you require a particular boat. Guide charges are Rs. 400 to Rs. 500. Horse ride charges start from Rs. 50 at the lakeside. The government of Gujarat also provides Nal Sarovar package during bird watching season which includes entry, boating, accommodation, etc. Nal Sarovar Utsav or ‘Pakshi Mahotsav’ is also celebrated to promote bird watching in the first week of February.
What All The Tourist Can Do There
- People can opt for classic birdwatching using a pair of binoculars or telescope.
- Enjoy a live barbeque and chill out near banks of the lakes.
- Tourists can enjoy the horse ride at the lakeside.
- An information center is provided for those who are keen to know about the different species of birds, their history, origin, habitat, food habits, etc.
- Kids can also play football and volleyball in huge fields.
- Tourists can take boat rides in the lake and can view the rare species of birds.
- Watchtowers are also there to enjoy the view.
- There are also food stalls or huts at Dhrabla island where foodies can enjoy the kathiyawadi thali that consists of 3 types of vegetables, bajre ki roti, gud (jaggery), butter, chutney served by locals at a particular price.
- You can also enjoy the Gujarati snack i.e., Gathiya.
What Else You Should Know About The Bird Sanctuary
- There was no access to drinking water in the past and tourists needed to carry their water bottles but now, there is a reverse osmosis plant that has been constructed which offers pure drinking water.
- At the end of March, flamingo flocks can be observed.
- Pottery is also one of the famous handicrafts for creative people to enjoy.
- Lotus field is also there where you can see lavender and pink lotus.
Top Attraction Beauty
- Lothal, Gujarat
- Sarkhej Roza, Gujarat
- Vechaar Utensils Museum, Gujarat
- Iskcon Temple, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Vastrapur Lake, Gujarat
- Gujarat Science City, Gujarat
- Parimar Garden, Gujarat
- Thol Lake Bird Sanctuary, Gujarat
All images belong to their respective owners.
Also, check out our latest blog Top 10 Heritage Hotels of Rajasthan