Ah! We Indians never stop complaining about the condition of the Indian Railways. Be it the food, or the cleanliness – we always start criticizing the Railway Department despite their best efforts. Nowadays, Twitter is widely being used to spread awareness about the condition of the trains and the Railway Board is taking care of that. But every coin has two sides, right? This might come as a surprise to you, but the Indian Railways have built the longest electrified tunnel in record time.
Yes, you read that right. Our very own Indian Railways, infamous for its services has broken a record by building the largest electrified tunnel in the least time. This tunnel is a part of the railway line in South Central Railways and is situated in between Cherlopalli and Rapuru stations.
Adding another feather to its cap, Indian Railways announced this tunnel on 8th July, and successfully completed another engineering feat. The newly constructed line will aid goods train services between Krishnapatnam Port and its hinterland, Obulavaripalli. It will help in reducing the travel time by 5 hours, which is half of the current time taken.
After the introduction of this tunnel, the Obulavaripalli-Venkatachalam-Krishnapatnam corridor is experiencing commercial freight operations as well. The West Coast and the South Coast are directly connected now, just because of this piece of art.
Some of the salient features of the tunnel include:
- Constructed in the shape of a Horse Shoe and is located between Cherlopalli and Rapuru stations.
- The tunnel is aligned perfectly and is 5500 meters long.
- Vaslo fittings and Bi-Block sleepers aid in the construction of Ballast-less Track.
- New Australian Training Method (NATM) is used and around 460 Crores is spent on this project.
- Light Emitting Diode lightning provided at 10m intervals inside the tunnel.
- 300mm thick Full-Length lining is provided.
- Necessary switching stations are present in between Cherlopalli and Adurupalli, and two traction power supply substations are present at the aforementioned places.
- Rapuru houses the OHE Maintenance Depot along with tower-car shed.
- Fail proof methods for earthing make sure that workers in the tunnel are away from injuries.